Interview with Paul Simos, author of the popular E-book “How To Get Your Vietnamese Motorcycle Licence In 7 Easy Steps”

Good morning Paul, it is good to finally meet you. Thanks for your time.

Thank you.

Why did you write “How To Get Your Vietnamese Motorcycle Licence in 7 Easy Steps”?

To make it easier for those who can’t speak Vietnamese, like myself. When I came to Vietnam in 2009 I wanted to apply for my Vietnamese Motorbike licence but could not find enough concise information in English to do this. Also dealing with the local authorities wasn’t easy as not all can speak English.

How will someone like me benefit from your E-book?

First of all, do you have a Vietnamese motorbike licence?


Great…If you follow the steps in the E-book it should only take you 2 weeks to obtain your licence. In my case it took up to 7 weeks as I was continually going back and forth collecting required information that I was not informed about at the start of the process.

Without giving too much away, what’s in the E-book?

In the E-book you will find a step by step guide, listing names and addresses of government organizations that you need to visit, times of operation, a list of all paperwork necessary for each step, notorization process you will need to follow, costs involved, the actual motorbike riding test you will have to do, my personal tips to help you pass the motorbike test plus everything else that you need.

Looks like you have covered everything?

Yes, the only thing I can’t do is take the riding test for you….

Have you had any feedback from customers who have purchased your E-book?

Yes I have. I keep in contact with customers to make sure they are happy with their purchase and it lived up to their expectations. Also, if necessary, I can adjust the E-book according to customer feedback. Customers have told me that it was so easy with the 7 step process they commended me on the precise detail.

Do you need a Vietnamese motorbike licence to ride in Vietnam?

Yes, you definitely do need a Vietnamese motorbike licence. I am very passionate about this detail. It is the law here in Vietnam to be licenced to ride on the roads like any other country. Some people choose not to be licenced and that is a big risk they are taking if there were to be an accident. The full weight of the law will be exercised in Vietnam just like any other country.

Goodness you are passionate about this point?

Yes, I am, and with good reason. I have seen and heard too many stories of Expats coming to Vietnam riding without being licenced and getting caught up in all sorts of trouble due to an accident, whether a small bingle or a serious mishap. Just because we are able to get on a motorbike and ride around the streets of Vietnam without a licence doesn’t make it right or safe.

What’s next after the E-book?

Good question. I am currently adding more information to my website to help people to be aware of the dangers of riding the roads of Vietnam. The more we can highlight possible dangers or just simple things to look out for it will be a safer and more enjoyable experience for everyone. I am open to ideas, so if someone sees an area that needs to be addressed I would be happy to look at it.

Thank you very much for your time this morning and keep up the good work in highlighting road safety in Vietnam.

It is my pleasure. I think if we can save 1 life through awareness on the roads we have done a great thing.

Leave A Reply (5 comments So Far)

  1. Anton
    6 years ago

    Hi Paul, I am about to purchase your e-book. I just need to know if you need to hold a license in your home country in order to complete the book and get your VN license. I hold an Australian Leaners Permit for a motorcycle… will that effect process of getting my VN license?

    Thanks, and great work.


    • admin
      6 years ago

      Hi Anton,

      Thanks for your email.

      Whatever licence you bring from Australia will be duplicated here in Vietnam with the same qualifications. Bring any licence that you have and you can use that to start the process. I brought my car licence and that transferred with the same expiry date.

      When will you come to Vietnam and for how long? Where do you live in Australia?

      If you have any other questions please feel free to email me.

      Have a great night

      Warm regards
      Paul Simos

      • admin
        6 years ago

        Hi Anton,

        Yes I am familiar with the Australian learners permit. Bring that with you and you can use it to obtain your Vietnamese bike licence.

        a lot of your questions are answered in the e-book.

        Thanks Anton

  2. Frida
    4 years ago

    HI Paul,

    Can you tell me more what foreigner need to to if they havent had any motorcycle license, and they want to get a VIetnamese one, what if they dont even know Vietnamese, is there any where foreigners can take VIetnamese motorcycle test?

    And do you know any school that allow filming crew to enter test place, please?


    • Paul Simos
      4 years ago

      Hi Frida, If you have car licence from you home country you can apply for a VN motorbike licence by just having the practical test. Do you want to learn how to ride a motorbike?

      Not sure about filming crew entering a test site???